Thursday, November 16, 2017

Gratitude and the Sunset Tour – An Amateur Competitor's Perspective

Gratitude and the Sunset Tour – 
An Amateur Competitor's Perspective

By: Jamie Woodson #45

FC-AFC Lock Five's My Mother's Keeper, "Keeper"

Good morning, friends! It's the Fifth Series of the 2017 National Retriever Championship. The buzz in the gallery is electric and in many ways, this field trial is just getting started. Wishing the remaining canine/handler teams great luck as we start the day.

With a handle in the Second Series, I suspected our job in the fourth was not going to cut the mustard. It didn't. "Keeper" #45 and I were not invited to the fifth series. That said, I simply could not be prouder of my little dog. What a ride and what a year!

For those of you who know me, you know I'm not shy about sharing my deep adoration for Keeper and my recognition that in many ways, this year is a sunset tour for me and my partner of over ten years. I can be quite sappy about it. 

While I've had pets my whole life, there's something supremely special about the partnership that exists between a retriever and her human. Keeper is really MY first dog and certainly my first field trial retriever. She is a lovely marker, smart as a whip, and extremely consistent. She is also an Oscar award-winning actress at times, ridiculously food oriented, and totally has my number. She has retrieved thousands of birds for me – both in the field as my duck-dog and as my partner in retriever competitions. 

Keeper is an old dog now and I recognize that every time we step up on line together, it could be our last. I treat those moments as precious gifts, because they are. 

Some of you may be expecting a real tear-jerker from me this morning. Well, not today. For a lot of reasons, I just don't have my words yet. Keeper has given me a great deal and taught me so very much. For today, I will simply be thankful for her and for this incredible year.

The field is narrowing and now Bill and I will turn our full attention to volunteering and rooting on the remaining competitors. 

We have much to be thankful for this week. As I enjoyed my morning coffee, I had the great gift of laughing at my four-legged senior companion tossing her favorite stuffed animal around our happy little cottage like a two year old puppy. I felt what I feel every time I look at her – gratitude.

Until next time, may the wind be with you and your flyers be friendly. 

-Jamie Woodson #45