Saturday, November 18, 2017

NRC Finale – An Amateur Competitor's Perspective

 
 
The 2017 National Retriever Championship's Finale is Today and SO Many Folks to Thank!
-an amateur competitor's perspective

By: Jamie Woodson #45

When the fog lifts, we will experience the grand finale of the 2017 National Retriever Championship as the ninth and tenth series will run. By sundown, we should have our National Champion. 

A huge thank you to the Retriever News team for inviting me to join in their coverage of this special event again this year. When I said yes to their invitation a few years ago, I wanted to share what an amateur competitor is really thinking about (or at least this one) during a national. I also said yes to exposing my underbelly in a very challenging atmosphere. 

Instead of trying to act smooth and cool about everything, I decided to open up and share what I was REALLY thinking about and experiencing - series by series. Of course, anyone who knows me knows I'm rarely cool about anything so it isn't that hard to be real. 😜

I have loved sharing our moments of success and anxiousness alongside our moments of joy and reflection. And importantly, it's been fun sharing my evolving game plans and the times when things just did NOT go according to plan. Having the opportunity to chronicle this experience and share with retriever lovers around the country who aren't able to be here is an absolute blast. It is my hope that you have found my posts, photos, and perspective entertaining and (hopefully) helpful.

I would also like to thank the judges, marshals, gunners, sponsors, grounds crew, bird stewards, throwers, test dogs, hostess team, chairmen, parking crew, landowners, photographers, announcers, the entire #RFTN team, and the countless individuals who came early and will stay late to make this National a special one for all of us! 

You wouldn't believe the production a National really is! The planning, the adjustments, the thoughtfulness and care, the long hours, the heavy lifting... It takes a great effort to pull off a National and a sincere THANK YOU to all of the leadership of this event. 

Thank you to our pre-National training crew and coaches. For those of you who haven't experienced one of these (but hopefully will soon), pre-National training is one of the best parts of a national! Mike Lardy, Wayne Curtis, and Ray Voigt were all incredibly helpful. 

To Dr. Jennell Appel and SportVet, a HUGE thanks for all you do (known and unknown) for both canine and human competitors. Dr. J's program of canine fitness and care has been a godsend to Keeper as a senior competitor. Words can't express my deep appreciation for her approach to canine health.

The Pat Burns Elite Retriever Training team's coverage with spectacular pictures and videos of the tests and excellent interviews is second to none. Pat & Robin Moneyhun Burns, Thank you! You have helped competitors, coaches, and spectators demystify tough and challenging tests each and every series.

Last but not least, a big thanks to my sweetheart, Bill! He is gunning again at this national. He's been out in the field before daylight and back to the house after dark every night. I imagine he is going to enjoy sleeping in tomorrow. Thanks, babe. You are the best. 

While the sun will set on this national today, we have the opportunity to begin our quest anew as handlers, supporters, friends, and lovers of these amazing dogs. To each of you who have your sights set on the 2018 National Retriever Championship next November in Paducah, Kentucky I wish you all the best in your quest to qualify. 

Until then, may the wind be with you and your flyers be friendly!

All my best,
Jamie

-Jamie Woodson #45